Re: [O] [RFC] Shrink columns dynamically

From: Kaushal Modi
Subject: Re: [O] [RFC] Shrink columns dynamically
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2017 22:11:25 +0000

On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 10:44 AM Nicolas Goaziou <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello,

Uwe Brauer <address@hidden> writes:

> This is the patch I applied and tested? If so, I think it is a very good
> thing and should be in master.

This is the same patch, along with the complete removal of old column
narrowing using width cookies.

The feature works nicely as explained, but please do not remove the width cookie!

The new feature supports only completely hiding a column. But what we lose by removal of width cookie is:

- Ability to truncate text in columns to a particular width (like 10) so that I can at least know what the content of that cell is about. And then to edit the cell, I would do C-c ` (org-table-edit-field). This is very useful for cells with verbose texts. That way, I can fit all the columns in a single screen width.
- Also heavily missed will be retaining the narrowed/hidden state of the columns.
--

Kaushal Modi