Re: [O] org table toggle narrowing and true column hiding

From: Michael Brand
Subject: Re: [O] org table toggle narrowing and true column hiding
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2017 18:23:18 +0200

Hi Uwe

On Wed, Jun 21, 2017 at 11:24 AM, Uwe Brauer <address@hidden> wrote:

> Any plans to implement true column hiding for org tables?

Not that I know of. How would you select a hidden column to unhide it?

> Concerning narrowing (poor man version of hiding)
>
> | Name     | passport | Other |
> |          | <2>      |       |
> | John Doe |  1234567 |       |

This is a good idea for your use case.

> The question is simple: how can a toggle narrowing?

To view all columns at once you can temporarily "C-c SPC C-c C-c" on
<2> and double undo.

To view only one field at a time and optionally edit it you can use
"C-c `" with zero, one or -- the coolest -- two C-u prefixes:

    (info "(org) Built-in table editor")

    `C-c `     (`org-table-edit-field')'
      Edit the current field in a separate window.  This is useful for
      fields that are not fully visible (*note Column width and
      alignment::).  When called with a `C-u' prefix, just make the full
      field visible, so that it can be edited in place.  When called
      with two `C-u' prefixes, make the editor window follow the cursor
      through the table and always show the current field.  The follow
      mode exits automatically when the cursor leaves the table, or when
      you repeat this command with `C-u C-u C-c `'.

Michael