Re: [O] org table toggle narrowing and true column hiding

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: Re: [O] org table toggle narrowing and true column hiding
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2017 09:49:58 +0000

    > Hello,
    > Uwe Brauer <address@hidden> writes:

    > What is true column hiding? What is the question you are referring to?

Most of the spreadsheet application I know allow you

    -  to mark a column

    -  and to hide it (it is still there and can be displayed of course)

That question was asked for example in
https://www.reddit.com/r/emacs/comments/2blff3/is_it_possible_to_hide_some_columns_from_an_org

I now that I can hide regions in emacs but I am not sure about rectangles.

    > I don't understand your question.

    -  Well part one:

Original table

| Name | Passport | other |
|      |      <2> |       |
| Joe  |   123456 |       |
| John |   456789 |       |

    -  part two: narrow the second column

| Name | =>> | other |
|      | =>> |       |
| Joe  | =>> |       |
| John | ==> |       |

    -  part three missing: how can I recover the original table (something like
       widening)?????

The only solution I came up with is rather  cumbersome

(defun org-table-turn-narrowing-off ()
  (interactive)
  (setq org-table-do-narrow nil)
  (message "Now table narrowing is off!"))

(defun org-table-turn-narrowing-on ()
  (interactive)
  (setq org-table-do-narrow t)
  (message "Now table narrowing is on!"))

(defun org-table-toggle-narrowing ()
"Toggle function between New subject is in same thread or not."
  (interactive)
  (make-repeat-command 'org-table-toggle-narrowing
                      '(org-table-turn-narrowing-on
                        org-table-turn-narrowing-off)))

Turning narrowing of and run C-c C-c again.

I hope there are more comfortable solutions.

Uwe Brauer