Re: [O] newbye questions

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: [O] newbye questions
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2017 18:07:20 +0800

François Patte <address@hidden> writes:

> Le 05/06/2017 à 01:33, Eric Abrahamsen a écrit :
>> François Patte <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> Bonjour,
>>>
>>> Ijust discovered org-mode for emacs and I want to explore the
>>> capabilities of this mode for LaTeX documents.
>>>
>>> I have a few preliminary questions:
>>>
>>> 1- I installed org-mode from ELPA and I get a warning message when I
>>> open a *.org file:
>>>
>>> Eager macro-expansion failure: (error "Autoloading failed to define
>>> function nnir-article-group")
>>>
>>> What does it mean and how to get rid of this message.
>>
>> That's a macro from Gnus, the mail/news client. I'm not quite sure why
>> it would be getting triggered from Org. Would you run
>> `toggle-debug-on-error', and trigger the warning again?
>
> I don't know much with the lisp syntax; here is what I have done:
> opened emacs,
> M-x  toggle-debug-on-error RET
> C-f file.org
>
> And the message is still there....
>
> This message does not appear if I open file without the .org extension.

Sorry -- of course it's a *warning*, not an error.

My only guess is that this is caused by the call to `nnir-article-group'
inside `org-gnus-store-link' in the file org-gnus.el. That file has

(eval-when-compile (require 'gnus-sum))

And gnus-sum.el has:

(autoload 'nnir-article-group "nnir" nil nil 'macro)

So theoretically that should take care of it.

What version of Emacs are you using?

I really don't know why this would be happening (I'm not very good at
debugging compile/load errors), but I'll bet the above is the source of
the problem.

Eric