Re: [O] emacs vs emacs -nw

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: Re: [O] emacs vs emacs -nw
Date: Wed, 31 May 2017 19:04:26 +0900

> On May 31, 2017, at 18:41, Yuri Khan <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> On Wed, May 31, 2017 at 3:58 PM, Jean-Christophe Helary
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>>> Could you provide an example and/or a recipe to demonstrate the issue?
>>
>> • Open an org file with a few headers and different header levels.
>> • Select a lower level header
>> • Hit M-left
>
> I believe this last step may be a bit unclear and misleading. Today,
> Meta is not a real key. You only get it via emulation from ESC or a
> modifier key, normally Alt on PCs. I don’t know the convention on Mac.

Ooops, you're right. Indeed.

On my machine I *systematically* use ESC for META.

> On X11/GNU/Linux, I get header promotion with Alt+Left but word
> navigation on Esc Left.

Now that I think about it, I just tried this:

(setq  ns-right-command-modifier 'meta)

And I get the expected behavior in GUI emacs. So it's really an issue about ESC
that is not recognized in GUI mode for *some* bindings in org-mode.

Jean-Christophe