Re: [O] org-ref + ASME

From: John Kitchin
Subject: Re: [O] org-ref + ASME
Date: Sat, 20 May 2017 07:49:27 -0400

> * How to add ASME?
> I want to know if there is a way to add the ASME database to org-ref.
>
> I found this: https://github.com/jkitchin/org-ref/issues/148 which hints
> me in the right direction, but I don't know how to make it work.
>
> I am trying with this article:
> http://biomechanical.asmedigitalcollection.asme.org/article.aspx?articleid=1427237
>
> What I do is to M-x crossref-add-bibtex-entry, yank the title and do
> RET. I get the right BibTeX entry, but org-ref sends me to:
> http://biomechanical.asmedigitalcollection.asme.org/article.aspx?articleid=1427237.full.pdf

org-ref uses pattern matching to try to retrieve the pdf for you. In
this case, it looks like this url falls through to the generic pattern,
which doesn't actually point to the pdf.

> whilst the PDF is actually on
> http://biomechanical.asmedigitalcollection.asme.org/data/journals/jbendy/27048/101013_1.pdf

To fix this, you need a new function that takes the article url and
generates the pdf url somehow. I have added a function to org-ref to try
to do this. It seems to work on this example.

> I already have the PDF and the last digits 101013 (without _1) seem to
> be the page number.
>
> * How do I avoid downloading the PDF?

set doi-utils-download-pdf to nil.

> The above leads me to the second question: if I already have the PDF, is
> there a way to prevent downloading it again? The obvious answer is:
> "Duh! just drag the PDF onto Emacs!", but if I do it like that, I get
> another issue (already reported on github).

There probably is not a good way to make this easy. the simplest is just
to rename it according to the bibtex key and put it in the
org-ref-pdf-directory. See my comment on the issue on Github.

--
Professor John Kitchin
Doherty Hall A207F