Re: [O] org-mode markup vs rst for general content

From: Samuel Wales
Subject: Re: [O] org-mode markup vs rst for general content
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2017 17:17:03 -0700

On 3/9/17, Alan L Tyree <address@hidden> wrote:
> The only problem that I have had is converting org-mode to Word files as
> required by my publisher. The ODT export module is fiddly and often
> chokes on my longer documents. When it does choke, it is hard to trace
> the problems. Markdown + Pandoc seems much better in this regard, but
> the outlining features in Emacs do not seem to be as good for the
> Markdown mode. To get a decent export in my latest manuscript I had to
> export to LaTeX then use ht4tex. Not a pretty workflow.

your answer seems very helpful.  not sure what you mean in this par though.

just to clarify:

are you referring to exporting to word from org-mode?

  - odt [is that word format?]
  - org -> markdown -> pandoc [presumably word]
  - org -> latex -> ht4tex [= word?]

i was wondering, too, what format would be good to export to for a
nontechnical reader, from org, and can preserve org's external
hyperlinks and numbered outline structure.

to the original poster: org can also insert literal target format
code.  for example, you can put literal html code into your export as
needed.  dunno if that fits your needs.

--
The Kafka Pandemic: <http://thekafkapandemic.blogspot.com>

The disease DOES progress. MANY people have died from it. And ANYBODY
can get it at any time.

The NIH, FDA, and CDC are not there for you.  Not without activism.

"You’ve really gotta quit this and get moving, because this is murder
by neglect." ---
<http://www.meaction.net/2017/02/03/pwme-people-with-me-are-being-murdered-by-neglect>.