Re: [O] limitation for macro expansion

From: Yasushi SHOJI
Subject: Re: [O] limitation for macro expansion
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2017 15:18:29 +0900

Hi Nicolas,

Thank you for your time.  I really appreciate it.

On Tue, 07 Mar 2017 01:41:34 +0900,
Nicolas Goaziou wrote:

> Yasushi SHOJI <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > I assume that the key phrase is "anywhere Org markup is recognized".
> > Link format doesn't allow Org markup, right?
>
> Not in the first part indeed. You can, however, use a macro in the
> description part of the link.

OK.

> > # I use file_name_with_underscore.txt more than subscripts
> > # I'd be nice, at least for me, to have '\sub' and '\super' special keywords
> > # but leave the underscores alone.
>
> I don't understand where you need this. At the export level, you can use
> `org-export-with-sub-superscripts' to `{}'. At display level, you can do
> the same with `org-use-sub-superscripts'.

I hate to waste your precious time because of my ignorant and I can
live with '\under' but I'm totally lost.

Are you saying that it's possible to generate "a_20170307.txt" from
"a_{{{timestamp}}}.txt" if I set those variables mentioned above
correctly? without using '\under'?

I know you said it's ambiguous.  So let me clarify what I said. What I
said above was to change the syntax (or lex / parser's behavior) when
some variable, let's say 'org-do-not-parse-sub-superscripts', is set
to nil.

So that a) org leaves '_' in "a_{{{somemacro}}}" as-is and the macro
parser will pickup the "{{{somemacro}}}, b) when I want to use
subscript, I can write "a\sub{someword or two}" to make a subscript.

People like me don't use subscript much (to be honest, I've never
wanted to use subscript since I started use Org, seven years?), but
use '_' many times in a doc.  Hence, (setq org-use-sub-superscripts
nil) in my init.el.  But for someone wanting to use subscripts in rare
occasion, '\sub' would serve.

I can understand if you say it's not good idea to change the _syntax_
by a variable.

> > hmm.  just checked the source.  org-use-sub-superscripts is only for
> > display.
> > org-export-with-sub-superscripts is just for exports.
>
> See above.
>
> > I was gonna just by-pass or disable subscript parser all together when
> > org-use-sub-superscripts is nil but it doesn't seems to be a good
> > idea, does it?
>
> This is exactly what a nil `org-export-with-sub-superscripts' does.

If that's the case, why doesn't macro parser pickup the
"{{{timestamp}}}" in "a_{{{timestamp}}}"?

Maybe this is my confusing point?  The component resposible defining
the org "syntax" is different from the parser?  Even if sub/super
parser is by-passed, because the "syntax" is subscript, the macro
parser won't be called on this substring?

Is the syntax defined in org-element--object-regexp and
org-element--object-lex?

Thanks,
--
           yashi