Re: [O] org-annotate/collaboration?

From: Alan E. Davis
Subject: Re: [O] org-annotate/collaboration?
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2017 23:09:54 -0800

I am looking for something a little different than this: annotated ls listings.  I have been searching blindly for years for this.

Back in the 90s was a Dos clone called 4dos, which featured directory listings with annotations, such that typing whatever the command was (dir?), gave a listing with the file name just like "dir" but also a description of the file.

It was exceedingly useful for me, in keeping track of a large number of files.  I have never seen anything like it.

Could org-annotate fulfill at least part of this requirement?  (I have posted to this list a similar question quite some years ago.)

Alan Davis

On Wed, Feb 8, 2017 at 9:21 PM, Eric Abrahamsen <address@hidden> wrote:
Matt Price <address@hidden> writes:

> Does anyone use org-annotate actively? I'm wondering what your
> workflow is, how you incorporate comments, etc.

I wrote it, and I don't use it that much. I do use it for quick
notes-to-self when writing, but footnotes do the job just as well.

> I'm hoping to embark on a book project with a colleague. I would like
> to use org-mode if I can, but I need to get a sense of the
> collaboration workflow. When you work on projects together, do you use
> annotations? Or git pull requests? If the latter, od you use any
> filters, or any magit tricks, to approve or modify suggested changes
> chunk by chunk?

It's a huge problem, and one that org-annotate isn't going to solve. I
do a lot of manuscript editing, and passing files around, and have only
barely gotten some people to accept my "weird" workflow, which is to
send them a clean version of an edited file, and along with that an HTML
file containing htmlized word-diff output, where the insertions and
deletions are colorized. They make further edits on the clean copy, and
I do another go-around. It's a huge pain.

> My colleague is familiar with markdown but for major projects has only
> ever used word. I'm trying to figure out how best to help her move to
> a text--based mode of production; the markdown ecosystem seems a lot
> larger, and I don't want the transition to be too painful. But OTOH I
> really want to stay in org if I can!

I wish there were better solutions out there!

Eric

--
[I do not] carry such information in my mind since it is readily
available in books. …The value of a college education is not the