Re: [O] Tables not converted to markdown format with markdown exporter

From: Joost Kremers
Subject: Re: [O] Tables not converted to markdown format with markdown exporter
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2017 12:35:08 +0100

On Wed, Feb 08 2017, Sharon Kimble wrote:
Roland Everaert <address@hidden> writes:

Hi,

Since a few weeks we use mattermost at work and I had recently to post a table to a team channel. I have created my table with org-mode, but when I export it to markdown format, the table is converted to html instead of markdown.

Is there any reason to that, except the simple fact that table conversion is not implemented yet?

As the markdown format is quite similar to the org-mode format regarding tables, I don't really see where could lie the difficulty.

Example:
- org format

| column 1 | column 2 | column 3 |
|-----------+----------------+-----------------|
| some text | some more text | event more text |
| blah | 45 | fgf |

- markdown format
| column 1 | column 2 | column 3 |
|-----------|----------------|-----------------|
| some text | some more text | event more text |
| blah | 45 | fgf |

This is obviously a very simple example, but usually, with mattermost, one doesn't post very complex messages.

Regards.

AFAIK markdown can't do tables. Any search of google won't show any ways
of doing markdown-tables because its not available on markdown.

There are certainly markdown variants that support tables, MultiMarkdown, PHP Markdown Extra and Pandoc markdown do, for example.

Roland, if Org export won't work, you may want to take a look at Pandoc. It accepts Org files as input and can produce Markdown files as output, and it supports a number of different types of tables. The kinds of tables you're looking for are called pipe tables in Pandoc's documentation:

http://pandoc.org/MANUAL.html#tables

HTH

--
Joost Kremers