Re: [O] I have org-plus-contrib from ELPA. How do I temporarily test Org

From: Kyle Meyer
Subject: Re: [O] I have org-plus-contrib from ELPA. How do I temporarily test Org from git?
Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2017 13:32:39 -0500

Hello,

Jorge Morais Neto <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi.  I wanted to temporarily run git Org so I could test a fix by Nicolas
> Goaziou.  I have pulled the master branch and adapted local.mk.

[...]

> I have built and run ‘make test’ (there were two unexpected test failures, but
> they regard functionality I don’t use).  In init.el I added
>       (add-to-list 'load-path
>                  (concat user-emacs-directory
>                          "locally_built_org/site-lisp"))

You don't need to build or install anything.  Make a test config file
that looks something like this:

    (add-to-list 'load-path "<path to org mode repo>/lisp/")
    (require 'org)

You can put any other settings you want to test in here.  Assuming the
above file is called org-config.el, start emacs like so:

    emacs -q -l /path/to/test/config/file

> At that point (just before ‘sudo make install’), [1] scared me with the
> warning "We strongly recommend to stick to a single installation method".
> Does that mean I cannot install Org from git if I already have it from ELPA?
> I wanted Org from git to just override Org from ELPA.
> 1: http://orgmode.org/org.html#Installation
>
> As a precaution, I have uninstalled ELPA org-plus-contrib before
> ‘sudo make install’.  After testing, I installed ELPA org-plus-contrib
> again.  Was that really necessary?

No, you can use "emacs -q" to avoid loading your main init file.

--
Kyle