Re: [O] Org unique id behavior changed?

From: John Hendy
Subject: Re: [O] Org unique id behavior changed?
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2017 16:52:59 -0600

On Fri, Feb 3, 2017 at 4:23 PM, Nicolas Goaziou <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> John Hendy <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I just tried to recreate a unique id link from the mailing list and
>> was surprised to find that =C-c l= did not create a unique id
>> automatically.
>>
>> From the manual:[1]
>>
>> C-c l     (org-store-link)
>> If the headline has a CUSTOM_ID property, a link to this custom ID
>> will be stored. In addition or alternatively (depending on the value
>> of org-id-link-to-org-use-id), a globally unique ID property will be
>> created and/or used to construct a link (jwh adding: if org-id is
>> loaded).
>>

>> Here's my min config:
>>
>> #+begin_example
>>
>> (add-to-list 'load-path "~/.elisp/org/lisp/")
>> (add-to-list 'load-path "~/.elisp/org/contrib/lisp")
>>
>> (require 'org-id)
>> (global-set-key "\C-cl" 'org-store-link)
>> (setq org-link-to-org-use-id 'create-if-interactive)
>>
>> #+end_example
>>

>> Starting emacs with =emacs -Q= and then =M-x load-file ~/path/to/min-config=
>>

>> File:
>>
>> #+begin_example
>>
>> * Alcohol^
>>
>> Something
>>
>> \newpage
>>
>> * Another heading
>>
>> Blah blah blah, see
>>
>> #+end_example
>>

>> With cursor at ^, I do =C-c l= and get this in the mini-buffer:
>> =Stored: Alcohol=
>>
>> When trying to insert with =C-c C-l= I get this auto-completion suggestion:
>>
>> Alcohol
>> <file:~/Desktop/test.org::*Alcohol>
>>
>> Normally that would have a unique-id, not file path/headline.
>>
>> Org mode version 9.0.2 (release_9.0.2-140-g1c8908 @
>> /home/jwhendy/.elisp/org/lisp/)
>>
>> Is this on my end (settings) or did something change? Doing this
>> definitely used to generate a unique id property drawer under the
>> linked headline and suggest it when going to insert the link
>> elsewhere.
>
> FWIW, I cannot reproduce this issue.

Wow. I just wrote a response re-replicating my behavior and then went
to check the value of the variable to be sure!

org-id-link-to-org-use-id is a variable defined in ‘org-id.el’.
Its value is nil

That's interesting. So what did I set in my config??

(setq org-link-to-org-use-id 'create-if-interactive)

I changed to the correct variable name and all is well. Sorry for the
noise; it appears this is a super old variant of the variable based on
references I find on the web:
- http://git.net/ml/emacs-orgmode-gnu/2012-04/msg01203.html
-
http://orgmode.org/w/?p=org-mode.git;a=commitdiff_plain;h=4b4328e29b2c286505c7f0be0e54a37a8d1fbc75

I must not have caught a change at some point but I *swear* it was
working within the last year.

John