Re: [O] Sync up the org in emacs master to org maint branch?

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Re: [O] Sync up the org in emacs master to org maint branch?
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2017 16:52:22 -0500

DE> It is a mistake because you are creating more moving targets and bring
DE> them together very late in the release process. This reduces the amount of
DE> testing that is done for those packages, so bugs will be noticed later and
DE> the quality of the relases suffer. It moves even more work into the
DE> RC-phase, which is already crowded and where people who can fix those bugs
DE> might not be readily available. It removes those packages from Emacs CI,
DE> so that breakages due to changes in core are not immediately noticed, and
DE> often times they have to be fixed not by those who created the breakage,
DE> but by those who notice them.

These are issues to be fixed in the way ELPA integrates with our development
process. I recognize today's ELPA may have these drawbacks, but I believe they
can be fixed.

We're moving toward a future where Emacs.git will represent "core Emacs", and
only contain what core needs (plus a few historical bits, I'm sure). There
should be no argument for keeping a project in core just to gain auxiliary
benefits.