Re: [O] BUG: agenda for current days excludes reoccurring events

From: Jarmo Hurri
Subject: Re: [O] BUG: agenda for current days excludes reoccurring events
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2017 17:25:21 +0200

Greetings again.

> Jarmo Hurri <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> - how the bug shows up: the reoccurring meeting will show up yesterday
>>   and in upcoming days, but not in the current day
>
> This is the consequence of `org-agenda-prefer-last-repeat' default
> value.
>
> However, this behaviour doesn't make much sense when the entry is not
> a task (i.e., it hasn't any TODO keyword). In this case,
> `org-auto-repeat-maybe' doesn't apply, and the base date is never moved
> forward in time.

In particular the fact that you see it for all other days except today
makes absolutely no sense, right?

> I think that a nil `org-agenda-prefer-last-repeat' should display :
> - only the base date when the entry has a TODO keyword;
> - every repeat between base date and today, inclusive, otherwise.
>
> It also applies to SCHEDULED and DEADLINE repeaters.
>
> Behaviour with a non-nil value needs not be changed.
>
> WDYT?

This is slightly beyond my pay grade, but I hope a nil
'org-agenda-prefer-last-repeat' would also display all repeats for
_future_ days.

I assume quite a few people use reoccurring entries to mark regular
meetings, short tasks etc. It is imperative that they also see how the
meeting affect the schedules of future days in their agenda.

My personal opinion is that _any entry with a timestamp_ should be
repeated as far into the future as possible, regardless of whether it is
a TODO or some other type. A timestamp indicates that this entry very
likely needs to be taken into account when scheduling future
events. Thus seeing the repetition in the agenda in the future may be
crucial.

Does this make sense?

Jarmo