Re: [O] org-capture-templates with multi charachter keys

From: Marco Wahl
Subject: Re: [O] org-capture-templates with multi charachter keys
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2017 15:02:09 +0100

Hi,

Roland Everaert <address@hidden> writes:

> Is there somewhere in the org documentation or on the internet a complete
> example of using multi-character keys in org-capture.
>
> This excerpt from the documentation is not clear to me :/
>
> "The keys that will select the template, as a string, characters only, for
> example "a" for a template to be selected with a single key, or "bt" for
> selection with two keys. When using several keys, keys using the same
> prefix key must be sequential in the list and preceded by a 2-element entry
> explaining the prefix key, for example
>
>                    ("b" "Templates for marking stuff to buy")
>
> Moreover, can a prefix be composed of multiple characters or only one?

The following example might help you understand.  It's cut and paste
from a customize buffer for org-capture-templates.

With this customization one can use the keys x t p to get to the "tree poem"
capture.  (Tree and poem is completely artificial.)  And in the same way x t n
brings up the capture for "tree new".

#v+
For help using this buffer, see Easy Customization in the Emacs manual.

Operate on all settings in this buffer:
 Revert...   Apply   Apply and Save

Hide Org Capture Templates:
INS DEL Choice: Value Menu Multikey description:
            Keys       : x
INS DEL Choice: Value Menu Multikey description:
            Keys       : xt
INS DEL Choice: Value Menu Template entry:
            Keys           : xtp
            Description    : tree poem
            Capture Type   : Value Menu Org entry
            Target location: Value Menu File:
            Filename       : Value Menu Literal: ~/org/refile.org
            Template       : Value Menu String:
            Plist:
            [ ] Key: :prepend t
            [ ] Key: :immediate-finish t
            [ ] Key: :jump-to-captured t
            [ ] Key: :empty-lines 1
            [ ] Key: :empty-lines-before 1
            [ ] Key: :empty-lines-after 1
            [ ] Key: :clock-in t
            [ ] Key: :clock-keep t
            [ ] Key: :clock-resume t
            [ ] Key: :unnarrowed t
            [ ] Key: :table-line-pos t
            [ ] Key: :kill-buffer t
                        INS
INS DEL Choice: Value Menu Template entry:
            Keys           : xtn
            Description    : new tree
            Capture Type   : Value Menu Org entry
            Target location: Value Menu File:
            Filename       : Value Menu Literal: ~/org/refile.org
#v-

HTH,  Marco