Re: [O] How do you store web pages for reference?

From: Alan Schmitt
Subject: Re: [O] How do you store web pages for reference?
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2017 14:06:23 +0100

Hi Charles,

On 2017-01-16 11:38, address@hidden (Charles A. Roelli) writes:

> On Mon, Jan 16 2017 at 09:48:38 am, Alan Schmitt wrote:
>
>> I'm looking for a workflow that allows me to save a web page for
>> reference, ideally from Firefox. I know of org-protocol-capture-html
>> (https://github.com/alphapapa/org-protocol-capture-html), which is
>> perfect for pure-text pages, but I'm also looking for a solution for
>> images-heavy pages. I've tried to simply save the page to PDF, but it
>> does not preserve the links.
>
> You might also want to try org-board:
>
>     https://github.com/scallywag/org-board
>
> It offers archiving, diffing between archives, and anything `wget' can
> do (see its manual for more details).  I haven't integrated it with
> Firefox, but if you can
>
>     a) Get the current URL from Firefox,
>     b) Send it to Emacs,
>     c) Open a dedicated web bookmark file buffer, create a heading for
>        the URL, and run `org-board-archive',
>
> then org-board would take care of archiving the site exactly as you see
> it in the browser.

This is great! Thanks a lot for the suggestion. I just gave it a try and
it works beautifully. (I haven't integrated it with Firefox, but I think
it should not be too difficult using org-protocol.)

Best,

Alan

--
OpenPGP Key ID : 040D0A3B4ED2E5C7
Monthly Athmospheric CO₂, Mauna Loa Obs. 2016-12: 404.48, 2015-12: 401.85