Re: [O] Hopes of making orgmanual.org the official manual?

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] Hopes of making orgmanual.org the official manual?
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2017 20:51:57 +0100

Hello,

Kaushal Modi <address@hidden> writes:

> Are there plans to have the orgmanual.org (
> http://orgmode.org/cgit.cgi/org-mode.git/tree/contrib/orgmanual.org)
> completely replace the texinfo version at some point?

The first step is to have orgmanual.org generate org.texi. We're not
there yet because there is no 1:1 correspondence between constructs used
in org.texi and Org syntax.

> I believe that orgmanual.org was synchronized with the texinfo version
> when it was checked in.

No, it wasn't even compiling when it landed in contrib/. Now, it exports
correctly. The process is slow, though, due to the sheer number of
macros (900+) and some code blocks at the end that can be removed.

> But I fear that if this switching to org manual step is
> delayed, there might not be enough motivation to keep orgmanual.org
> maintained.

Note that orgmanual.org is not maintained so far. A starting point would
be to try to update a small part of the manual and report what is
missing in "ox-texinfo.el".

As a side note, I think we could use some free (i.e., noop in
"ox-texinfo.el") emphasis markers, e.g. "+...+", for additional syntax,
e.g., @key{...}, or @kbd{...}.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou