[O] [OT] buffer or frame locale color-theme settings?

From: Matt Price
Subject: [O] [OT] buffer or frame locale color-theme settings?
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2017 09:35:50 -0500

Shoot, I've just updated my emacs and and I guess I can no longer set frame-local color themes, a it says in NEWS:

** Some obsolete functions, variables, and faces have been removed:
*** make-variable-frame-local.  Variables cannot be frame-local any more.

Does anyone else rely on multiple color themes for visually distinguishing frames or buffers? Do you have suggestions for how to do that now that this deprecated function has been removed (sniff)?