Re: [O] excluding whole trees on export when subtrees have "select" tags

From: John Kitchin
Subject: Re: [O] excluding whole trees on export when subtrees have "select" tags present
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2017 10:46:58 -0500

Based on the docstrings for org-export-select-tags and
org-export-exclude-tags, this looks expected.

It does not look possible to exclude a heading and include a subheading
under it. It is possible to include a heading and exclude some
subheadings though you need a wanted tag in the parent, and notwanted
tags in the subtrees, and to declare the exclude tags.

#+EXCLUDE_TAGS: notwanted

I am surprised you can use comment like this. It looks to me like
commenting a tree makes all the subtrees in it not export too.

I could see somehow an org-export-before-processing-hook function that
deletes headlines and content you do not want, but it will mess with the
outline, e.g. if you delete "* headline" but leave "** subhead".
I thought I would be able to comment headlines with a hook function like
this, but I could not get it to work. Maybe it is a local problem though.

--
Professor John Kitchin
Doherty Hall A207F