[O] Something like #+BIND but for the destination buffer

From: Jonas Bernoulli
Subject: [O] Something like #+BIND but for the destination buffer
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2016 15:17:57 +0100

I need to ensure that the texinfo exporter generates texi files that use space for indentation even when the global value of indent-tabs-mode is t. If tabs are used, then code blocks end up being intended wrong in the final info file.

There are probably other more direct approaches to achieve this, but when I stumbled into #+BIND I thought I had found the mechanism to achieve this. But it turned out that #+BIND allows setting variables in the buffer from which the export happens, not the buffer into which it happens. So I would like to suggest the addition of something like #+BIND-DEST, to allow setting variables in the destination buffer.

I could then use something like

#+BIND-DEST: indent-tabs-mode nil

# Local Variables:
# org-export-allow-bind-keywords: t
# End:

to ensure that indent-tabs-mode is disabled. Currently I am using this

(defun ox-texinfo+--disable-indent-tabs-mode
    (fn backend file-or-buffer
        &optional async subtreep visible-only body-only ext-plist post-process)
  (let ((saved-indent-tabs-mode (default-value 'indent-tabs-mode)))
    (when (equal backend 'texinfo)
      (setq-default indent-tabs-mode nil))
    (unwind-protect
        (funcall fn backend file-or-buffer
                 async subtreep visible-only body-only ext-plist post-process)
      (setq-default indent-tabs-mode saved-indent-tabs-mode))))

(advice-add 'org-export-to-file   :around 'ox-texinfo+--disable-indent-tabs-mode)
(advice-add 'org-export-to-buffer :around 'ox-texinfo+--disable-indent-tabs-mode)

Thanks for considering