Re: [O] Getting "Chapter" before a heading number

From: Peter Davis
Subject: Re: [O] Getting "Chapter" before a heading number
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2016 14:21:32 -0500

Peter Davis <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm preparing a proposed table of contents for a book, and I'd like the HTML
> output to appear like:
>
> Chapter 1 Blah
>   1.1 blah
>   1.2 blah blah
>   1.3 blah blah blah
>
> Chapter 2 Blah Blah
>   2.1 blah
>   2.2 blah blah
>
> etc.
>
> Is there a way to get HTML output to do this? I'd like the "*" at the start
> of a line to denote a new chapter, and nested headings
> to go inside. I haven't been able to find anything like this.

It occurred to me that another way to get this effect might be with numbered
lists:

#+BEGIN_SRC org
 * Chapter 1 Blah
   1. blah
   2. blah blah
   3. blah blah blah
 * Chapter 2 Blah Blah
   1. blah
   2. blah blah
#+END_SRC

and so on. Is there any way to get numbered lists to use a "." notation, where
the path to each list item is indicated by
.-separated numbers?

 1
 1.1
 1.2