Re: [O] Remove Org from Emacs repository?

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: [O] Remove Org from Emacs repository?
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2016 10:13:04 +0000

Achim Gratz <address@hidden> writes:

> Phillip Lord writes:
>> I think there's only a few problems, actually. package.el initialization
>> is all or nothing at the moment, and is disabled on emacs -q. Neither of
>> these would make sense if we wanted in built packages.
>
> My opinion is that unless package.el adds explicit support for
> system-level packetization decisions (i.e. for admins or distributions)
> it's not going to gain widespread support from that small, but important
> set of folks.

I think it mostly has this, in the sense that you can add packages into
admin installation locations. Although, this are disabled with emacs -Q.

> Of course the user will then have to be able to override these like
> deactivation of packages, installing different versions, etc.

Different versions you can do. Deactivation at the moment, no, although
I guess you could delete the autoloads.

> Before long it also needs to be able to cope with different package
> archives simultaneously especially when those have incompatible
> numbering schemes.

That one would be a bit harder, although you could add support for
package repositories to add their own numbering scheme by installating a
package.

>> It's not strictly necessary, though. The current idea is to not to use
>> packages but to, essentially, move the lisp of packages in ELPA into
>> place in the build. package.el need not be involved then.
>
> Yes I know.  Which is in essence prolonging the current state of affairs
> as far as the users are concerned.  If it gets things moving into the
> right direction I'll be glad.  I just had hoped for some more general
> (some would say radical) solution.

Some did say radical, unfortunately.

Still, you give me encouragement. I may complete my solution after
all. Perhaps combined with a completely repackaged Emacs core.

Phil