Re: [O] Remove Org from Emacs repository?

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: [O] Remove Org from Emacs repository?
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2016 19:53:16 +0100

Phillip Lord writes:
> I think there's only a few problems, actually. package.el initialization
> is all or nothing at the moment, and is disabled on emacs -q. Neither of
> these would make sense if we wanted in built packages.

My opinion is that unless package.el adds explicit support for
system-level packetization decisions (i.e. for admins or distributions)
it's not going to gain widespread support from that small, but important
set of folks.  Of course the user will then have to be able to override
these like deactivation of packages, installing different versions, etc.
Before long it also needs to be able to cope with different package
archives simultaneously especially when those have incompatible
numbering schemes.

> It's not strictly necessary, though. The current idea is to not to use
> packages but to, essentially, move the lisp of packages in ELPA into
> place in the build. package.el need not be involved then.

Yes I know.  Which is in essence prolonging the current state of affairs
as far as the users are concerned.  If it gets things moving into the
right direction I'll be glad.  I just had hoped for some more general
(some would say radical) solution.

Regards,
Achim.

Wavetables for the Terratec KOMPLEXER: