Re: [O] Remove Org from Emacs repository?

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: [O] Remove Org from Emacs repository?
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2016 17:52:46 -0800

Reuben Thomas <address@hidden> writes:

> Now that Emacs has had package.el for some years, and Org is
> installable directly from GNU ELPA, would it be a good idea to remove
> Org from Emacs's source repository?

I think the fact that this is an issue at all is an indication of a
shortcoming in Emacs' package-management system. I wish package
management happened "invisibly" (ie, (package-initialize) happened all
by itself). Emacs then would come bundled with certain packages -- Org,
Dired, Gnus, Tramp, etc.

If a user were totally unaware of the existence of packages, those
packages would only get updated when Emacs was updated.

If a user were package-savvy, he/she could open up the package manager,
which would provide the option to update those packages, or remove them
altogether. My personal opinion is that Emacs should lean more towards
"batteries included", but offer a slimming option for users who
understand packages.

Right now I apparently have two copies of Org installed -- the Emacs
bundle, and org-plus-contrib from the package repos. Actually, I have a
third: the plain old Org package from the package repos, because I've
installed other packages that require it. (Another gripe: why isn't the
manager not to install another one?)

And actually a fourth: Org from git. Again, if the package manager were
satisfied by finding a (provide 'org) in my loaded code-base, this might
be the only copy necessary.

All this is just to say, I wish this were an argument we didn't have to
have.