Re: [O] org.texi edits, patch attached

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] org.texi edits, patch attached
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2016 23:42:45 +0100

Hello,

Lambda Coder <address@hidden> writes:

> Nicolas, attached is the revised edits for:
>
> * Working with source code (2nd review)
> * Miscellaneous
> * Hacking
> * MobileOrg
>
> The patch is against maint branch from today.

Thank you. Some comments and suggestions follow.

Before starting however, I have one question: isn't replacing "code
block" with "src code block" everywhere a bit obnoxious? Couldn't define
once and for all that a "src block" is a code block and simply use "code
block" everywhere?

Also, your patch inserts trailing white spaces throughout the document.
Could you double-check that?

> +Org can flexibly export just the @emph{code} from the @samp{src} code blocks,
> +just the @emph{results} of evaluation of the @samp{src} code block,
> address@hidden the code and the results of @samp{src} code block evaluation,
> or
> address@hidden  Org defaults to exporting @emph{code} for most languages.  For
> +some languages, such as @code{ditaa}, Org defaults to @emph{results}.  Each
> +of these options is described below.  For details about exporting just the
> +body of @samp{src} code blocks, see @ref{Literal examples}.  For details
> +about exporting portions (sub-trees) of an Org document, see
> @ref{Exporting}

  code blocks, @pxref{Literal examples}.

and,

  Org document, @pxref{Exporting}.

also,

  about exporting parts of an Org document

i.e., drop "sub-trees", "portions" and the parenthesis.

> -The @code{:exports} header arguments control the export of code blocks (and
> -not inline code):
> +The @code{:exports} header arguments control the export of @samp{src} code
> +blocks (and not inline code):

  code blocks---and not inline code:

> -After each evaluation, results are inserted after the end of code block in
> -the Org buffer.  Previous results are either replaced (default) or appended
> -to.  On export, Org includes only the results and not the code block.
> +After each evaluation, Org inserts the results at the end of @samp{src} code
> +block in the Org buffer.  Previous results are either replaced (default) or
> +appended to.  On export, Org includes only the results and not the @samp{src}
> +code block.

  replaced---which is the default---or appended to...

>  @vindex org-export-use-babel
> -To stop Org from evaluating code blocks during export, set
> address@hidden variable to @code{nil}.  Turning off evaluation
> -comes in handy when batch processing.  For example, markup languages for
> -wikis, which have a high risk of untrusted code.  In this case, Org doesn't
> -process header arguments either.  For this reason it is often better to set
> address@hidden:eval never-export} (@pxref{eval}) to prevent code evaluation
> but still
> -allow headers to be honored.  To evaluate just the inline code blocks, set to
> address@hidden  Isolating inline evaluations is not for security but for
> -avoiding any delays due to recalculations during exports, such as calls to
> -a remote database.
> -
> -Org never evaluates code blocks in commented sub-trees when exporting
> -(@pxref{Comment lines}).  On the other hand, Org does evaluate code blocks in
> -sub-trees excluded from export (@pxref{Export settings}).
> +
> +To stop Org from evaluating @samp{src} code blocks during export, set
> address@hidden variable to @code{nil}.  Stopping evaluation
> +comes in handy when batch processing in environments with high risk of
> +untrusted code, such as markup languages for wikis.  To evaluate only the
> +inline @samp{src} code blocks, set the variable to @code{inline-only}.  This
> +isolates evaluation not for any security reasons but for avoiding delays due
> +to recalculations during exports, such as calls to a remote database.
> +
> +Org never evaluates @samp{src} code blocks in commented sub-trees when
> +exporting (@pxref{Comment lines}).  On the other hand, Org does evaluate
> address@hidden code blocks in sub-trees excluded from export (@pxref{Export
> +settings}).

There is a gotcha here. This part was modified in master. It would be
better to preserve as much as possible the parts of the original text,
in particular the reference to ":eval no-export".

I suggest to find a common paragraph, simply replacing
`org-export-use-babel' with `org-export-babel-evaluate' for maint branch.

  languages, @pxref{Languages}.

> -code blocks}).
> +code blocks}).

Mind the spurious space above.

> -Org passes arguments to the code block using standard function call
> -syntax ---instead of the header argument syntax.  For example,
> -a @code{#+CALL:} line that passes 4 to a code block named @code{double},
> -which declares the header argument @code{:var n=2}, would be written as
> address@hidden: double(n=4)}.
> +Org passes arguments to the @samp{src} code block using standard function
> +call syntax, and not the header argument syntax.  For example, @code{#+CALL:
> +double(n=4)}, passes 4 to a @samp{src} code block named @code{double}.

  passes @samp{4} to a ...

Mind the trailing space at the end.

  syntax, @pxref{Evaluating code blocks}.

  lines, @pxref{Evaluating code blocks}.

> -data between @samp{src} code blocks.
> +data between @samp{src} code blocks.

Trailing whitespace.

> -of the code block for execution.  See also @ref{prologue}.
> +of the code block for execution.  See also @ref{prologue}.

Trailing whitespace.

> -references in the @samp{src} code block before evaluation.
> +references in the @samp{src} code block before evaluation.

Trailing whitespace.

> address@hidden code block, using ``noweb'' style references.
> address@hidden code block, using ``noweb'' style references.

Ditto.

  structural elements---such as @code{#+BEGIN_SRC} and @code{#+END_SRC}
  pairs---with just three key strokes

> -To insert a structural element, type a @samp{<}, followed by a template
> -selector and @address@hidden  Completion takes effect only when the above
> -keystrokes are typed on a line by itself.
> +In Org, on a line by itself, type a @kbd{<} and a template letter (valid ones
> +are listed below).  Then @address@hidden complete the expansion.  For
> example:

  letter---valid ones are listed below.

> -Single keys can be made to execute commands when the cursor is at the
> -beginning of a headline, i.e., before the first star.  Configure the variable
> address@hidden to activate this feature.  There is a
> -pre-defined list of commands, and you can add more such commands using the
> -variable @code{org-speed-commands-user}.  Speed keys not only speed up
> -navigation and other commands, but they also provide an alternative way to
> -execute commands bound to keys that are not or not easily available on a TTY,
> -or on a small mobile device with a limited keyboard.
> +Single keystrokes (without meta or modifier keys) can execute custom commands
> +in an Org file.  They become active when the cursor is at the very beginning
> +of a headline (even before any bullet points or stars).

What is a "bullet point"? Isn't stars (or asterisks) clear enough? Also,

  keystrokes---without meta or modifier keys---can execute

and

  of a headline---even before any bullet point or star.

  @emph{calc} or the @emph{Emacs Lisp}

?

> -These lines (several are allowed) specify link abbreviations.

  lines ---several are allowed---specify

> -Here are the options for hiding leading stars in outline headings, and for
> -indenting outlines.  The corresponding variables are
> address@hidden and @code{org-odd-levels-only}, both with a
> -default setting @code{nil} (meaning @code{showstars} and @code{oddeven}).
> +These options hide leading stars in outline headings, and indent outlines.
> +The corresponding variables are @code{org-hide-leading-stars} and
> address@hidden, both with a default setting of @code{nil}
> +(meaning @code{showstars} and @code{oddeven}).

  @code{nil}---meaning @code{showstars} and @code{oddeven}.

> -This line contains the formulas for the table directly above the line.
> -
> -Table can have multiple lines containing @samp{#+TBLFM:}.  Note
> -that only the first line of @samp{#+TBLFM:} will be applied when
> -you recalculate the table.  For more details see @ref{Using
> -multiple #+TBLFM lines} in @ref{Editing and debugging formulas}.
> +This line is for formulas for the table directly above.  A table can have
> +multiple @samp{#+TBLFM:} lines.  On table recalculation, Org applies only the
> +first @samp{#+TBLFM:} line.  For details see @ref{Using multiple #+TBLFM
> +lines} in @ref{Editing and debugging formulas}.

  For details @pxref{Using multiple #+TBLFM lines}.

The reference already contains the section it belongs to, doesn't it?

  Using stars for odd levels, 1, 3, 5, @dots{}, can also

> -Org lives in the world of GNU Emacs and interacts in various ways
> -with other code out there.
> +Org's interaction (or lack there of) with other Emacs packages are documented
> +here.

  Org's interaction---or lack there of---with other Emacs packages

> -For the same reason, key bindings in Org also conflict with the
> address@hidden<cursor>} keys used by CUA mode.  If you prefer to leave these
> keys to
> -a different package while working in Org mode, configure the variable
> address@hidden  When set, Org will move the following key
> +Org key bindings conflict with @kbd{S-<cursor>} keys used by CUA mode.  For
> +Org to relinquish these bindigns to CUA mode, configure the variable
> address@hidden  When set, Org moves the following key
>  bindings in Org files, and in the agenda buffer (but not during date
>  selection).

  and in the agenda buffer---but not during date selection.

>  @lisp
> -(defun yas/org-very-safe-expand ()
> -  (let ((yas/fallback-behavior 'return-nil)) (yas/expand)))
> +(defun yas/org-very-safe-expand () (let ((yas/fallback-behavior 'return-nil))
> +  (yas/expand)))
>  @end lisp

The former is more idiomatic. Please remove this chunk.

> -Org-crypt will encrypt the text of an entry, but not the headline, or
> -properties.  Org-crypt uses the Emacs EasyPG library to encrypt and decrypt
> -files.
> +Org-crypt encrypts the text of an entry, but not the headline, or properties.
> +Org-crypt uses the Emacs EasyPG library to encrypt and to decrypt.

  Org Crypt encrypts the text

and

  Org Crypt uses

or perhaps "Org crypt" instead of "Org Crypt"...

> -To use org-crypt it is suggested that you have the following in your Emacs
> -init file:
> +Suggested org-crypt settings in Emacs init file:

See above.

> -You would activate this new link type in Emacs init file with
> +To activate org-man link type in Emacs, enter this in the init file:

"Org man" or "Org Man", per above.

> -Org 8.0 comes with a completely rewritten export engine which makes it easy
> -to write new export back-ends, either from scratch, or by deriving them
> -from existing ones.
> +Org 8.0 has a new export engine that makes it easy for writing new
> +back-ends.  This engine can also derive new back-ends from existing
> ones.

I don't think retaining reference to Org 8 is relevant in an Org 9 manual. I
suggest:

  Org has an export framework that makes...

> -When creating a new back-end from scratch, the basic idea is to set the name
> -of the back-end (as a symbol) and an alist of elements and export functions.
> -On top of this, you will need to set additional keywords like
> address@hidden:menu-entry} (to display the back-end in the export
> dispatcher), and
> address@hidden:options-alist} (to let the user set export options that are
> specific
> -to this back-end.)
> +For a new back-end from scratch, set its name (as a symbol) in an alist of
> +elements and export functions.  For making the back-end visible to the export
> +dispatcher, set @code{:menu-entry} keyword.  For export options specific to
> +this back-end, set the @code{:options-alist}.

  set its name---as a symbol---in a alist of

> -Add-ons can tap into this functionality by providing a function that detects
> -special context for that add-on and executes functionality appropriate for
> -the context.  Here is an example from Dan Davison's @file{org-R.el} which
> -allows you to evaluate commands based on the @file{R} programming language
> address@hidden@file{org-R.el} has been replaced by the Org mode functionality
> -described in @ref{Working with source code} and is now obsolete.}.  For this
> -package, special contexts are lines that start with @code{#+R:} or
> address@hidden:}.
> +These commands work by providing a function that detects special context for
> +that add-on and executes functionality appropriate for that context.
> +
> +Here is an example from Dan Davison's @file{org-R.el} which evaluates
> +commands based on the @file{R} programming language @address@hidden
> +has been replaced by the expanded Org mode functionality described in
> address@hidden with source code}.}.  For this package, special contexts are
> +lines that start with @code{#+R:} or @code{#+RR:}.
>
>  @lisp
>  (defun org-R-apply-maybe ()
> -  "Detect if this is context for org-R and execute R commands."
> +  "Detect if context is org-R and execute R commands."
>    (if (save-excursion
>          (beginning-of-line 1)
>          (looking-at "#\\+RR?:"))

I think we can remove this whole part of the manual. Neither "org-R.el"
nor "#+RR:" or "#+R:" exist anymore in Org.

  @emph{translate}

  @emph(source table)

  @samp{skipcols}

  @samp{END}

  @emph{splice}

  include (@pxref{Translator functions}):

  @samp{a new house}

> -If you want to make sure that all dynamic blocks are always up-to-date,
> -you could add the function @code{org-update-all-dblocks} to a hook, for
> -example @code{before-save-hook}.  @code{org-update-all-dblocks} is
> -written in a way such that it does nothing in buffers that are not in
> +To keep dynamic blocks up-to-date in an Org file, use the function,
> address@hidden in hook, such as @code{before-save-hook}.  The
> address@hidden function does not run if the file is not in
>  @code{org-mode}.

  is not in Org mode.

  @samp{[h]h:mm}

  @samp{WAITING}

> -Reduce the number of DONE and archived headlines: this way the agenda does
> -not need to skip them.
> +Reduce the number of DONE and archived headlines: so agenda operations that
> +skip over theseT can speed up.

Typo. Also,

  @samp{DONE}

> -Org provides commands to access agenda information for the command
> -line in Emacs batch mode.  This extracted information can be sent
> -directly to a printer, or it can be read by a program that does further
> -processing of the data.  The first of these commands is the function
> address@hidden, that produces an agenda view and sends it as
> -ASCII text to address@hidden  The command takes a single string as parameter.
> -If the string has length 1, it is used as a key to one of the commands
> -you have configured in @code{org-agenda-custom-commands}, basically any
> -key you can use after @kbd{C-c a}.  For example, to directly print the
> -current TODO list, you could use
> +Org provides commands to access agendas through Emacs batch mode.  Through
> +this command-line interface, agendas can be automated for further processing
> +or printing.
> +
> address@hidden outputs to an agenda view in ASCII to address@hidden  This

Why the "@."? Shouldn't we use:

  in ASCII to STDOUT.  This

> +command takes one string parameter.  When string length=1, Org uses it as a

Typo.

> +key to @code{org-agenda-custom-commands}.  These are the same ones availabe
> +through @kbd{C-c a}.
> +
> +This example command line diretly prints the current TOTO list to the
> +printer:

Typo.

> -If the parameter is a string with 2 or more characters, it is used as a
> -tags/TODO match string.  For example, to print your local shopping list
> -(all items with the tag @samp{shop}, but excluding the tag
> address@hidden), you could use
> +When the string parameter length is 2 or more characters, Org matches it with

 two or more characters,

  For example, to print a list of items tagged with @samp{show}, but
  exclude items tagged with @samp{NewYork}:

> -which will produce a 30-day agenda, fully restricted to the Org file
> address@hidden/org/projects.org}, not even including the diary.
> +which will produce an agenda for the next 30 days from just the
> address@hidden/org/projects.org} file, (and even ignores the diary).

I think (and even ignores the diary) is redundant here, as there is
"just the file" before. I suggest to drop the last part of the sentence.

> -Time and date will only be given if a timestamp (or deadline/scheduled)
> -led to the selection of the item.
> +If the selection of the agenda item was based on a timestamp (or
> +deadline/scheduled), then Org includes date and time in the output.

on a timestamp---including deadline and scheduled---then Org includes

> -# run it and capture the output
> +aaaa# run it and capture the output

Typo.

  @samp{FUNC}

  @samp{FUNC}

  @samp{FUNC}

  @samp{MATCH} is a tags/property/TODO match.

  @samp{SCOPE}

  @emph{MobileOrg}

> -available for iOS and for Android.  @i{MobileOrg} offers offline viewing and

Ditto.

> -capture support for an Org mode system rooted on a ``real'' computer.  It
> -also allows you to record changes to existing entries.  The
> address@hidden://github.com/MobileOrg/, iOS implementation} for the
> address@hidden is a companion mobile app that runs on iOS and Android devices.

Ditto.

> address@hidden enables offline-views and capture support for an Org mode

Ditto.

> +system that is rooted on a ``real'' computer.  @i{MobileOrg} can record
> +changes to existing entries.

Ditto.

> +by Matt Jones.  Though the two implementations are not identical, they offer
> +similar features.
> +
> +This appendix describes Org's support for agenda view formats compatible with
> address@hidden  It also describes integrating changes (such as notes) between
> address@hidden and the computer.

See above. Also,

  integrating changes---such as notes---between

> +To change tags and TODO states in MobileOrg, first customize the variables
> address@hidden and @code{org-tag-alist}.  These should cover all
> +the important tags and TODO keywords, even if Org files use only some of
> +them.  Though MobileOrg has in-buffer settings, it understands TODO states
>  @i{sets} (@pxref{Per-file keywords}) and @i{mutually exclusive} tags

  @emph{sets}

and

  @emph{mutually exclusive} tags

> +MobileOrg needs access to a file directory on a server to interact with
> +Emacs.  With a public server, consider encrypting the files.  Org mode 7.02
> +(and later) and with @i{MobileOrg 1.5} (iPhone version) support encryption.

For the reason explained earlier, I think we can drop the "Org mode
7.02" part, so

  MobileOrg 1.5 (iPhone version) supports encryption.

Also, note that MobileOrg is not consistently emphasized in the manual.
We need to either use "MobileOrg" or "@emph{MobileOrg}" everywhere.
I prefer the former.

> +Org also requires @file{openssl} installed on the local computer.  To turn on
> +encryption, set the same password in @i{MobileOrg} and Emacs.  Set the

See above.

> +password in the variable @address@hidden you can
> +safely store the password in your Emacs setup, you might also want to
> +configure @code{org-mobile-encryption-password}.  Please read the docstring
> +of that variable.  With encryption, file names will remain visible even if
> the
> +file contents are encrypted.
> +
> +For a server to host files, consider options like
> address@hidden://dropbox.com,Dropbox.com} address@hidden alternative is to

I'd rather not suggest using Dropbox in a GNU manual.

> +use webdav server.  For more information, see MbileOrg documentation.

Typo.

> +On first connection, MobileOrg creates a directory @i{MobileOrg} on

See above: "MobileOrg".

> +Dropbox.  Emacs needs to know its location (through init file):
>
>  @lisp
>  (setq org-mobile-directory "~/Dropbox/MobileOrg")
>  @end lisp

See above about Dropbox.

> +Org mode puts files for @i{MobileOrg} in that directory, and also reads

  MobileOrg

> +captured notes from @i{MobileOrg} from that directory.

  MobileOrg

> +Org pushes files listed in @code{org-mobile-files} to
> address@hidden  Files include agenda files (as listed in
> address@hidden).  Customize @code{org-mobile-files} to add other
> +files.  File names will be staged with paths relative to
> address@hidden, so all files should be inside this
> address@hidden links in @code{org-directory} should have the
> +same name as their targets.}.
> +
> +Push creates a special Org file @file{agendas.org} with custom agenda views
> +defined by the address@hidden creating the agendas, Org mode will force
> +ID properties on all referenced entries, so that these entries can be
> +uniquely identified if @i{MobileOrg} flags them for further action.  To avoid

  MobileOrg

> +Org writes the file @file{index.org}, containing links to other files.
> address@hidden reads this file first from the server to determine what other

  MobileOrg

> +files to download for agendas.  For faster downloads, MobileOrg will read
> +only those files whose address@hidden are stored automatically
> +in the file @file{checksums.dat}} have changed.

Missing period:

  in the file @file{checksums.dat}.} have changed.

> +When @i{MobileOrg} synchronizes with the server, it pulls the Org files for

  MobileOrg

> +After moving the entries, Org attempts changes to @i{MobileOrg}.  Some

  MobileOrg

> +Org generates an agenda view for flagged entries for user intervention to
> +clean up.  For notes stored in flagged entries, @i{MobileOrg} displays them

  MobileOrg

> +Pressing @kbd{?} displays the entire flagged note in another window.  Org
> +also pushes it to the kill ring.  To store flagged note as a normal note, use
> address@hidden  z C-y C-c C-c}.  Pressing @kbd{?} twice removes the
> @code{:FLAGGED:}
> +tag along with the recorded flagging note (which is stored in a property).

  recorded flagging note---which is stored in a property.

Could you send an updated patch?

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou