[O] Unable to access the org-mode ELPA repo

From: Roland Everaert
Subject: [O] Unable to access the org-mode ELPA repo
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2016 10:48:34 +0100

Hi,

I am using emacs on a Windows 7 machine at work. I have decided, today, to switch to ELPA to install org-mode (or any other package), but I am totally unable to configure emacs properly to reach the repositories.

I have the following errors when emacs starts or when I ask emacs to refresh the ELPA packages list:

"You can run the command ‘package-list-packages’ with M-x pa-l- RET
Mark saved where search started
error in process sentinel: Error retrieving: http://elpa.gnu.org/packages/archive-contents (error connection-failed "failed with code 10060
" :host "elpa.gnu.org" :service 80)
error in process sentinel: Error retrieving: http://elpa.gnu.org/packages/archive-contents (error connection-failed "failed with code 10060
" :host "elpa.gnu.org" :service 80)
Making completion list...
Package refresh done
error in process sentinel: Error retrieving: http://orgmode.org/elpa/archive-contents (error connection-failed "failed with code 10060
" :host "orgmode.org" :service 80)
error in process sentinel: Error retrieving: http://orgmode.org/elpa/archive-contents (error connection-failed "failed with code 10060
" :host "orgmode.org" :service 80)
read-number: Command attempted to use minibuffer while in minibuffer
Contacting host: elpa.gnu.org:80
Failed to download ‘gnu’ archive.
Contacting host: orgmode.org:80
Failed to download ‘org’ archive.
You can run the command ‘package-refresh-contents’ with M-x pa-r- RET
Failed to download ‘org’ archive."

Below is the configuration at the beginning of my .emacs init file:

"(eval-after-load "url"
  '(progn
     (require 'w32-registry)
     (defadvice url-retrieve (before
                              w32-set-proxy-dynamically
                              activate)
       "Before retrieving a URL, query the IE Proxy settings, and use them."
       (let ((proxy (w32reg-get-ie-proxy-config)))
         (setq url-using-proxy proxy
               url-proxy-services proxy)))))

(require 'package)
(add-to-list 'package-archives '("org" . "http://orgmode.org/elpa/") t)

;; Added by Package.el.  This must come before configurations of
;; installed packages.  Don't delete this line.  If you don't want it,
;; just comment it out by adding a semicolon to the start of the line.
;; You may delete these explanatory comments.
(package-initialize)"

As you  can see in the error messages, the problem appears even with the gnu archive. I suspect a proxy settings issue, but I don't know how to diagnose the problem and find the solution.

Any help appreciated,

Roland.