[O] Useful Org Agenda Function: Add "Today" to event

From: Tory S. Anderson
Subject: [O] Useful Org Agenda Function: Add "Today" to event
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2016 07:50:45 -0600

My regular org workflow often sees me having unfinished tasks during a day (be it an email request, a phone call, a long-standing one-off, etc). In these cases I find it useful to add a timestamp for "today" to the item so that I still have original scheduling/deadline information, but it shows up on today's daily view. This is especially handy since timestamp entries can be stacked without interfering with each other, so I can keep a record of all past instances as well. I have this working fine for me via a keyboard macro to be used in agenda mode, which goes to the org file of the event, moves to the heading, moves down a couple lines, and inserts the deadline, and returns. Certainly a non-macro way would be fine here, but this was the easiest and fastest for me and meets my needs. Improvements are welcome! Otherwise, hopefully this function is useful. (Please let me know if some other function already does this)

(fset 'tsa/org-agenda-add-today
     (lambda (&optional arg) "Keyboard macro." (interactive "p")
(kmacro-exec-ring-item (quote ([return 3 16 14 5 return 21 3 46 return 24 98 return] 0 "%d")) arg)
       (message "Gave event \"TODAY\" date")))
(with-eval-after-load 'org-agenda (define-key org-agenda-mode-map (kbd "C-c .") 'tsa/org-agenda-add-today)) (with-eval-after-load 'org-agenda (define-key org-agenda-mode-map (kbd "C-c C-.") 'tsa/org-agenda-add-today))

- Tory