Re: [O] Problem with python session

From: John Kitchin
Subject: Re: [O] Problem with python session
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2016 14:40:18 -0400

I am not sure it makes sense to change anything for this. There is
different behavior with scripts and the interpreter independently of
org-mode, e.g. with python -i:

>>> for i in range(3):
...     print(i)
... i
  File "<stdin>", line 3
    ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

Vanilla python sessions are kind of maddening. These seemingly identical blocks
are different, i.e. one works and one doesn't! Spoiler alert, they are not
identical.

#+BEGIN_SRC python :results output org drawer :session
for i in range(3):
    for j in range(3):

        pass

    print(i)
#+END_SRC

#+RESULTS:
:RESULTS:

...   File "<stdin>", line 3

    ^
IndentationError: expected an indented block
File "<stdin>", line 1
    pass
    ^
IndentationError: unexpected indent
>>>   File "<stdin>", line 1
    print(i)
    ^
IndentationError: unexpected indent
:END:

This block which works has one space at the beginning of the blank lines.

#+BEGIN_SRC python :results output org drawer :session
for i in range(3):
    for j in range(3):

        pass

    print(i)
#+END_SRC

#+RESULTS:
:RESULTS:

... ... ... ... ... 0
1
2
:END:

This kind of error would be hard to reliably fix IMHO since it would
rely on replacing blank lines with at least a space, and adding a blank
line after indentation changes, except they can not be empty, they need
at least a space in them. It is not clear that is a good idea. Maybe a
test that replaces "\n" with "\n \n" might clear it up, but might also
add a bunch of the ... >>> characters in the output?

This is not an issue with python scripts or ipython, however.

--
Professor John Kitchin
Doherty Hall A207F