Re: [O] Multi-line macros (again)

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] Multi-line macros (again)
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2016 11:25:00 +0200

Hello,

Jarmo Hurri <address@hidden> writes:

> One of the most useful properties of LaTeX is \newcommand, which allows
> you to reuse document structures. I really, _really_ miss this feature
> in Org. Org has #+MACRO, but it is limited to a single line. That is
> very inconvenient for any larger structures.

Of course, macro are inconvenient for complex structures. They are not
the right tool for the job. You could use Babel for that, e.g.,

  #+name: template
  #+header: :var x="" y=""
  #+header: :results silent
  #+begin_src org
  $x
  $y
  #+end_src

  #+call: template("line 1", "line 2") :results replace

  #+RESULTS:
  line 1
  line 2

> Could we have multiline macros, something like
>
> #+BEGIN_MACRO name
> #+END_MACRO

For the record, I think that block syntax is largely overloaded. I'd
rather not introduce a new type of block without a really good reason.

Anyway, is there anything wrong with Babel, as suggested above?

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou