Re: [O] [RFC] Change visibility for bracket links

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] [RFC] Change visibility for bracket links
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2016 08:13:52 +0200

Hello,

Clément Pit--Claudel <address@hidden> writes:

> What about having our cake and eating it too? :) We could do just the
> same as what prettify-symbols-mode does with its
> prettify-symbols-unprettify-at-point variable. Namely, we could show
> the brackets when point is at the edge of a link, and hide them
> otherwise. The same trick could be applied to subscripts (I have
> working code for that for a different project, at
> https://github.com/cpitclaudel/company-coq/blob/master/company-coq.el#L4287).
>
> Wouldn't this preserve the flow of reading, while allowing for easier
> editing?

I have the feeling that it would cause some visual "jumping" when the
link is very different (e.g., wider) than its visible pars. Some links
tend to be very long. So showing the full link is not an option.

I don't know about showing only the brackets. Would you want to provide
a mock-up ?

Thank you.

Regards,

--