Re: [O] Making DocBook xml books from org mode?

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] Making DocBook xml books from org mode?
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2016 13:05:43 -0400

Marcin Borkowski <address@hidden> writes:

> On 2016-09-29, at 20:04, Peter Davis <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> I've started a new position in which I have to create and maintain a
>> large set of documents in DocBook xml format. For new books, I'd really
>> like to use org mode, since a) I'm already familiar with it, b) I love
>> it, and c) I believe it does (or can be made to do) nearly everything I
>> need.
>
> Nice.  Of many things XML is ill-suited to, marking text up is a nice
> exception: it seems really good at it (definitely way better than LaTeX,
> of which I'm a great fan!).

Why do you think so? I've used XML lightly over the years and I have found
it to be a bear. LaTeX has its own problems but I grew up with it, so I guess
I'm less conscious of its flaws (but I rarely write LaTeX any more: org has
subsumed it). Should I change my mind?

>>  3. The direct route from org to DocBook xml seems to be missing. From

My memory might be playing tricks on me, but wasn't there a docbook
exporter at some point? Maybe it did not survive the 8.x transition?
Or am I misremembering?

--
Nick