[O] Fwd: Re: Fwd: comment lines inside org tables

From: Rolf Sander (MPI)
Subject: [O] Fwd: Re: Fwd: comment lines inside org tables
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2016 13:54:31 +0200

Hello John,

Use a footnote? It's just a temporary reminder right?

No. Even though there are a few temporary reminders, most of the comment
lines are permanent. They describe different blocks of lines.

Sorry if my example was oversimplified. I thought presenting the full
table (currently 871 lines, 20 columns and a width of 234 characters)
would be too confusing. Maybe the following example is better:

|-----------+------------+--------|
| animal    | size       | number |
|-----------+------------+--------|
# mammals (see also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mammal):
| gnus      | big        |      3 |
| elephants | very big   |      1 |
# insects (see also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insect):
| gnats     | small      |   1000 |
| flies     | also small |   2000 |
# other:
| python    | long       | 2.7.12 |
|-----------+------------+--------|

Is there a way to tell org-tbl to simply ignore a line, without
converting it into |--+--+--| ?

I'm flexible with respect to the comment character. In the example I
chose "#" but anything else would be fine as well, for example "//" or
"|#" or whatever...

Best regards
Rolf

   Rolf Sander                              phone: [+49] 6131/305-4610
   Max-Planck Institute of Chemistry        email: address@hidden
   PO Box 3060, 55020 Mainz, Germany     homepage: www.rolf-sander.net
                www.atmospheric-chemistry-and-physics.net
                 www.geoscientific-model-development.net