Re: [O] Generate new babel code blocks and/or initialized code/data?

From: Lawrence Bottorff
Subject: Re: [O] Generate new babel code blocks and/or initialized code/data?
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2016 16:53:51 -0400

Not sure if you know Clojure, but here's what I've been toying with:

#+name: my-test
#+begin_src clojure :var i=[1 2]
(map inc i)
#+end_src

#+RESULTS: my-test
| 2 | 3 |

looks good, but then

#+name: myfun1
#+begin_src clojure
(defn myfun1
  [ ]
  [8 9])
#+end_src

#+begin_src clojure :var i=myfunc1
(map inc i)
#+end_src

doesn't do anything, i.e., it doesn't process the myfunc1 and provide the vector [8 9]

This elisp code works, though:

#+name: mylist1
#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(defun mylist1 ()
  (list 1 2 3 4))
#+end_src

then

#+begin_src emacs-lisp :var myx=(mylist1)
(mapcar '1+ myx)
#+end_src

#+RESULTS:
| 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |

Note how I put mylist1 in parens. Without produced odd output

#+RESULTS:
| 110 | 122 | 109 | 106 | 116 | 117 | 50 |

. . . which is literally taking the ascii letters of the word "mylist1" and incrementing them. (Too much fun. . . ). What might be wrong with my Clojure attempt? I've tried (myfun1), myfun1, and myfun1() gives an error.

On Tue, Sep 20, 2016 at 3:33 PM, Thomas S. Dye <address@hidden> wrote:
Aloha Lawrence,

Lawrence Bottorff writes:

> So I can run code for a REPL-type language like Clojure in a babel code
> block and get "results," e.g., a Clojure code block takes in a vector of
> mappings and produces new "results":
>
> #+RESULTS[abc5c51bb569a82c19c4eea1c385c74e839922c7]:
> symmetrize-body-parts-test
> | :name | head            | :size |  3 |
> | :name | left-eye        | :size |  1 |
> | :name | right-eye       | :size |  1 |
> | :name | left-ear        | :size |  1 |
> . . .
>
> but could I generate results that aren't just static output listed after a
> #+RESULTS tag, rather, embedded in a newly created babel code block? I'd
> like such output "initialized" as far as the running REPL is concerned too.
> Is it possible to generate new code/data that is immediately known to the
> REPL session? Any examples don't have to be Clojure.

You can use the :session header argument which will give you access to
any variables created during the session:

http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/languages/ob-doc-clojure.html#orgheadline13

You can pass the function results to a variable argument, which makes
possible chaining (see http://www.jstatsoft.org/v46/i03):

#+header: :var x=myfunc(2)

You can also embed and call a function in a source code block using noweb
syntax:

http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/intro.html#literate-programming

hth,
Tom