Re: [O] Feedback on changes to org-id

From: Adam Porter
Subject: Re: [O] Feedback on changes to org-id
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2016 21:50:17 -0500

Aaron Ecay <address@hidden> writes:

> The API has the following two functions already:
> - org-id-find-file-for: id -> file-name
> - org-id-find-id-in-file: id file -> position
>
> Imagine I add to this API org-id-find-marker: id -> marker.  Then I
> think we can deprecate (and eventually delete) org-id-find, since all its
> uses can be replaced by some combination of the other 3 functions.  (We
> could also keep it as a convenience function wrapping the other 3, but
> it hardly seems worth it: the marker case just adds the overhead of
> another funcall, whereas a significant proportion of the non-marker
> calls in the codebase actually only care about the file name, so it is a
> waste of effort to calculate the buffer position only to throw it away.)

Personally, I wish org-id-find would not be removed, because I use it in
org-bookmark-heading, e.g.:

https://github.com/alphapapa/org-bookmark-heading/blob/master/org-bookmark-heading.el#L126

On the other hand, maybe this is a good time to see about getting
org-bookmark-heading into org itself, in which case whoever changes the
API would be responsible for updating it... ;)  WDYT?