Re: [O] org-board -- bookmarking and archival

From: Charles A. Roelli
Subject: Re: [O] org-board -- bookmarking and archival
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2016 20:40:25 +0200

Adam Porter <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Charles,
>
> Thanks for sharing that, I will check it out.  As was mentioned, it
> seems ripe for integrating with browser capture.  On that note, have you
> seen org-protocol-capture-html?  For articles that are primarily text,
> I've been capturing articles directly in Org format, but your package
> sounds good for capturing pages as-is.

Thanks for letting me know about org-protocol-capture-html, I had not
seen it.  Capturing text directly to an Org file sounds more
manageable.

> By the way, you might want to consider integrating something like
> Readability or the Python package python-readability (aka
> readability-lxml) for reducing web pages to the primary content.  It's
> worked out well in org-protocol-capture-html.

Great idea, maybe as part of a post-processing hook?  Then we could save
the HTML as a backup (for later web browsing) and then include the
primary text in the Org file for easy viewing straight from Emacs.
Seems your package is already well-suited to that part. :)

I also wanted to keep the design relatively abstract so that things like
this could be added later.  One other feature idea that could be
implemented as a post-processing hook is responding to "downloadable"
links (like links to YouTube videos) by running a backend program (in
this case, "youtube-dl") to go take care of fetching the apprapriate
content.

> By the way, here's some code I've been using to read and/or capture
>web
> pages from URLs on the clipboard:
> [...]

It's helpful to see an example of org-capture in use, I still have more
to learn about it.  I'll put a little example in the README for
org-board.

Cheers,
Charles