Re: [O] Trouble with capture template and prompt

From: Bart Bunting
Subject: Re: [O] Trouble with capture template and prompt
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2016 22:17:38 +1000

Adam,

I sort of had already narrowed it down but am unsure of how to debug
further.

Removing %^{Todo}  from the template and everything works.

Of course the thing that doesn't work is that org no longer prompts me
for the title of the task to create which makes me sad :).

Any suggestions on how to dig into this further?

Here is the output when debug-on-error is set to t:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Capture abort: (error Key sequence C-c !
starts with non-prefix key C-c)")
  signal(error ("Capture abort: (error Key sequence C-c ! starts with
non-prefix key C-c)"))
  error("Capture abort: %s" (error "Key sequence C-c ! starts with non-prefix
key C-c"))
  org-capture(nil)
  #<subr funcall-interactively>(org-capture nil)
  apply(#<subr funcall-interactively> org-capture nil)
  ad-Advice-funcall-interactively(#<subr funcall-interactively> org-capture nil)
  apply(ad-Advice-funcall-interactively #<subr funcall-interactively>
(org-capture nil))
  funcall-interactively(org-capture nil)
  #<subr call-interactively>(org-capture nil nil)
  ad-Advice-call-interactively(#<subr call-interactively> org-capture nil nil)
  apply(ad-Advice-call-interactively #<subr call-interactively> (org-capture
nil nil))
  call-interactively(org-capture nil nil)
  command-execute(org-capture)

I have some other bits of org config in my main config file but not sure
that they would cause breakage like this.

The other thing is that I use emacspeak which is probably the advice
calls shown in the debug above.  Hard for me to test without it though
as then I can't use emacs.

Could try ripping out almost all of the org config and see if that
helps.

I could also try an earlier version of emacspeak in case the error is
being caused by the advice in some strange way.

Kind regards

Bart

Adam Porter <address@hidden> writes:

> Bart Bunting <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Several of the entries I do not use but thought I should include the
>> entire variable.
>
> Hi Bart,
>
> Well, that looks okay to me.  Going back to the original error message
> you provided, isn't C-c ! bound to insert an inactive org timestamp by
> default?  It's strange that it would be involved here.
>
> I think that whatever is the problem, it's not in the capture templates,
> but somewhere else in your Org config.  But I would suggest, as a first
> step, trying to reduce the problematic capture template to the bare
> minimum, item by item, to see if you can make it work without the error.
> If you can, whatever you remove that's causing it should point you
> toward the problem.
>
> One other thing, you said that that code is from .customize.  Is there
> anything related to the capture templates in your other config files?

Bart
--

Bart Bunting