Re: [O] Bug? Highlighting inconsistent with export

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] Bug? Highlighting inconsistent with export
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2016 12:08:07 +0200

Hello,

Clément Pit--Claudel <address@hidden> writes:

> In the following snippets, I have marked which bits are syntax-highlighted as
> code, and which bits are exported as code.
>
>                  Some “=code=” [fn:: ~more~ ~of it~]. ~even more code~—
> ~this~ —.
>    Highlighted?        No            Yes    No       No                No
>    Exported?           No            Yes    Yes      No                No
>
> Note the inconsistency in the footnote case. ~this~ isn't highlighted
> because it's surrounded by non-breaking space. ~of it~ isn't
> highlighted because of the ‘]’, but on export it does get rendered as
> code.
>
> Some suggestions: Paired delimiters and quotes, such as “” ‘’ <> [],
> could be allowed around code

It could be hard to catch them all.

> Spaces (including zero-width spaces) could also be allowed

I have no objection to this.

However, another option is to get rid of
`org-emphasis-regexp-components', make every paired "=" character
trigger verbatim mode and every paired "~" characters trigger code mode,
but provide a way to escape "=" and "~". It should probably be extended
to any emphasis markup and special characters like "|", "#"...

There's more work involved, though.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou