Re: [O] Sharing documents with bibtex bibliography from org to non-org u

From: Julian M. Burgos
Subject: Re: [O] Sharing documents with bibtex bibliography from org to non-org users
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2016 10:40:58 +0000

Hi Martin,

The best solution I found so far is to export to latex, and then use
pandoc to convert the tex document into word.  You can point pandoc to
your .bib file, so the bibliography gets into the word document, doing
something like this:

pandoc --bibliography /home/julian/Documents/org_files/myrefs.bib -o
mypaper.docx mypaper.tex

This works ok.  Figures sometimes do not get inserted into the Word document,
and there are other relatively minor issues.  I have not bother looking
very deeply to figure out if they can be solved, I just pass the word
document to my collaborators for editing (so they can use the track
changes options and so for), and I also send the pdf file (from latex)
so they can see exactly how the document would look, in terms of figures
and tables.

When you get your reviews back, you need to manually insert them into
your org document, which is a pain in the back.

An alternative way is to pass the org document to your coworker, so they
can edit them in word directly.  They should ignore all the markup
language, do not use the track changes option, and save the resulting
document as a text file.  Then you can incorporate the changes directly
into your org file using ediff.  But as you said, the markup language
may turn off people that are not very friendly to some code and strange
commands.

A third way would be to export to odt.  I think you can set the exporter
so it uses libre office to convert the resulting file into .doc or
.docx.  I have not tried this very well, so I am not sure how this works
with references, figures and tables.

Hopefully somebody on the list may have a better option,

All the best,

Julian

--
Julian Mariano Burgos, PhD
Hafrannsóknastofnun, rannsókna- og ráðgjafarstofnun hafs og vatna/