Re: [O] Sharing documents with bibtex bibliography from org to non-org u

From: Martin Leduc
Subject: Re: [O] Sharing documents with bibtex bibliography from org to non-org users
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2016 07:05:19 -0400

On 08/15/2016 11:36 PM, Martin Leduc wrote:
Hi orgers,

People using org-mode or LaTeX to write scientific papers inevitably
face problems when time comes to share a manuscript with co-authors for
reviewing. Unless one decides to restrict the choice of his co-authors
based exclusively on their knowledge of LaTeX, collaborators generally
use Microsoft Word to write their documents.

One way to share LaTeX documents with non-LaTeX users is to simply
copy-paste the LaTeX file into a Word document. You can then share this
file with other people along with a pdf-compiled version of the
manuscript allowing them to see all references, bibliography, equations
and figures. This is the most convenient approach for the first author,
who can simply copy-paste back the text into a tex file after the rounds
of review and then compile the LaTeX manuscript again following some
minor debugging.

However, the latter approach may not be suitable in situations where the
document is intended to stay into a word format for whatever reason. It
could be for instance because you want to be kind with some co-authors
that wouldn't pay much interest into a scary document filled with
complicated codes.

So I would like to know what are the best known strategies to circumvent
the latter issue. To simplify, I accept that I will need to rewrite the
equations (and eq. numbers) in the Word document. What I really want,
however, is all the citations and the list of references being managed
automatically at the step of exporting from org to ODT or to Plain Text.

The only solution I see now is to export the org document to a plain pdf
(e.g. with no page numbers) and then to copy-paste the pdf into a Word
document. This strategy is cumbersome because a lot of work is generally
needed to format the word document (page wrapping, no line breaks
between paragraphs, words hyphenation, etc).

Is there any cleaner solutions to this issue ? Or more general ideas on
how we could facilitate the sharing of documents containing a bibtex
bibliography between org and non-org users ?

Thanks

Martin

Sorry for double posting... please take this one.
M.