Re: [O] Bug: org-agenda-list fails with "wrong-type-argument stringp nil

From: Kaushal Modi
Subject: Re: [O] Bug: org-agenda-list fails with "wrong-type-argument stringp nil" from org-agenda-skip [8.3.5 (8.3.5-elpaplus @ $HOME/.emacs.d/elpa/org-plus-contrib-20160801/)]
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2016 22:26:58 +0000

FWIW I do not see this issue on the latest version of org on the master (dev) branch.

Based on the backtrace, it looks like for some reason comment-start-skip is nil in your emacs session.

Here's the definition of org-agenda-skip:

(defun org-agenda-skip ()
  "Throw to `:skip' in places that should be skipped.
Also moves point to the end of the skipped region, so that search can
continue from there."
  (let ((p (point-at-bol)) to)
    (when (or
  (save-excursion (goto-char p) (looking-at comment-start-skip))
  (and org-agenda-skip-archived-trees (not org-agenda-archives-mode)
(get-text-property p :org-archived)
(org-end-of-subtree t))
  (and org-agenda-skip-comment-trees
(get-text-property p :org-comment)
(org-end-of-subtree t))
  (and (setq to (or (org-agenda-skip-eval org-agenda-skip-function-global)
    (org-agenda-skip-eval org-agenda-skip-function)))
(goto-char to))
  (org-in-src-block-p t))
      (throw :skip t))))

Can you recreate this error in an emacs -Q session with only that org version loaded?