Re: [O] Bug: org-add-note closes log book drawer

From: Gregor Zattler
Subject: Re: [O] Bug: org-add-note closes log book drawer
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2016 01:42:57 +0200

Hi Nicolas,
* Nicolas Goaziou <address@hidden> [31. Jul. 2016]:
> Hello,
>
> address@hidden (N. Jackson) writes:
>
> > When org-log-into-drawer is t and the log book drawer is open, using
> > org-add-note closes the log book drawer.
> >
> > I think it would be better if org-add-note left the state (open or
> > closed) of the log book drawer alone.
> >
> > In comparison org-clock-in and org-clock-out do leave the state of the
> > log book drawer alone, which is much more satisfactory.
>
> I understand the discrepancy problem.
>
> However, drawers are meant to remove stuff from view, i.e., their
> contents are, more often than not, hidden. So, `org-clock-in' and
> `org-clock-out' may be wrong in this case.

For me the reasoning is the other way around: "Since drawers are meant
to remove stuff from view, i.e., their contents are, more often than
not, hidden", I'd say if the drawer is open prior to org-add-note
there might be a reason why so and it would ne nice not to interfere
with the users choice.

I open my org files in show-everything view for performance reasons.
I have turned on note taking for many funtions like changing TODO
states an cklockin out, therefore the really big drawer collapses all
the time although I want it to stay open.

Just my 2, Gregor
--