[O] Potential feature request – more automatic updating of cookies

From: Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto
Subject: [O] Potential feature request – more automatic updating of cookies
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2016 17:21:38 -0300

Paste the following in an Org buffer:
* Cookie_a [0/0]
* TODO Dummy_a
* Cookie_b [0/1]
** TODO Dummy_b

Within that buffer:
   1. Move point to the line of Dummy_a.
   2. <M-right>
I wished the cookie to be updated to [0/1] but it is not.

Then:
   1. Move point to the line of Dummy_b.
   2. C-c C-x C-w
   3. Move point to the line of Dummy_a at column 0.
   4. C-c C-x C-y
I wished both cookies to be updated.  They are not.

The manual [[info:org#Checkboxes][says]]:
    Checkbox statistic cookies are updated automatically if you toggle
    checkboxes with `C-c C-c' and make new ones with `M-S-<RET>'.  TODO
    statistics cookies update when changing TODO states.  If you delete
    boxes/entries or add/change them by hand, use this command to get things
    back into sync.

Should I request the feature of Org automatically updating cookies when using
structure editing commands such as C-c C-x C-w, C-c C-x C-y, <M-left>,
<M-right> and friends?  Would it be worth the development cost?  I
unfortunately cannot develop it myself.

The point is that C-u C-c # (to update cookies in the entire buffer) takes
long enough that I only call it a few times per week.  This means that cookies
can get out of sync.  Then I try to remember manually invoking C-c # on the
relevant line every time it goes out of sync, but I sometimes omit it.

I figured I should discuss this in the mailing list before submitting a bug
report with org-submit-bug-report.

Regards

--
• I am Brazilian.  I hope my English is correct and I welcome corrections.
• Please adopt free formats like PDF, ODF, Org, LaTeX, Opus, WebM and 7z.