[O] Tuning the layout of published html

From: Jarmo Hurri
Subject: [O] Tuning the layout of published html
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2016 16:09:26 +0300

Greetings.

I am writing teaching material (for programming) using Org. All the
material (text, figures, code, program outputs) are written using Org
and Babel-supported languages. Publishing to html works just fine. What
I would like to do, however, is to add some layout structure to the
produced html.

More specifically, I would like to add, on all pages, a navigation bar
on the left-hand side and a title bar with no functionality on the top
of each page.

What options do I have to accomplish this? Searches led me to "derived
backends," but they sound like an overkill for a task that is this
simple. Or?

Jarmo