Re: [O] ox-clip.el

From: John Kitchin
Subject: Re: [O] ox-clip.el
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2016 08:13:10 -0400

Thanks for the feedback.

I noticed at the bottom of `gui-set-selection': Note that on MS-Windows,
primary and secondary selections set by Emacs are not available to other
programs. It looks like Emacs won't support this out of the box soon ;)

> But the text to be copied here is in RTF, but Emacs
> is hardcoded to copy texts. Damn. We have to use
> pbcopy or to change Emacs internal code.

> Now things go back to finding the culprit of
> overwriting the clipboard. And I traced to
> `evil-visual-update-x-selection’ called in
> `evil-visual-{pre,post}-command’. Oh I don’t understand
> why evil does this. Disabling evil-mode works.

That sounds "evil". How do you ever copy anything? I still don't really
understand why it is an issue for ox-clip unless what is really happening
is evil messes up the active region which is exported by org-mode. The
ox-clip command doesn't touch the emacs clipboard at all I think. It
only uses system commands to put stuff on the system clipboards (which
are not directly visible to emacs in the first place).

The ox-clip commands don't currently copy anything you can paste back
into emacs. I have debated doing that, but it adds a noticeable lag for
the copy command since an org-export is involved, and if you are pasting
back to emacs that is not needed.

A solution would be a new copy command that just does a regular copy all
the time, but with a prefix arg does a formatted copy for pasting
elsewhere. I just use two different key bindings now. M-w for copy, and
H-k for formatted copy.

> Then here comes another bug:
>
> I’m testing on a Chinese org file. Here is the part:
>
> *** Evil-Surround
>
> [[https://github.com/timcharper/evil-surround][Evil-surround]] 是一个 Vim
> 上非常常用的插件改写的,使用它可以快速的将选中区域进行匹配的操作,例如选中区域两边同时进行添加或修改括号,引号等操作。
>
> 下载安装后使用下面的代码将其激活,
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
> (require 'evil-surround)
> (global-evil-surround-mode)
> #+END_SRC
>
> 简单的使用方法就是在选中所选区域后,使用  =S(= 来将选中区域包括在括号之中。如果想将括号改变成 ="= 可以在选中后使用 =cs("=
>
> You can get the whole file in
> https://github.com/emacs-china/Spacemacs-rocks/blob/master/README.org
> <https://github.com/emacs-china/Spacemacs-rocks/blob/master/README.org>.
>
> But pasting the formatted resulted this:
>

> The encoding is wrong. Adding a ‘-inputencoding UTF-8’ fixes it.

I added this to the macOSX command. thanks for the solution!