Re: [O] Does org-nofity uses dbus?

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] Does org-nofity uses dbus?
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2016 12:45:08 -0400

Xi Shen <address@hidden> writes:

> Well~that's good news. But I think dbus requires X11 to work. But in Cygwin
> environment, people usually
> do not configure a full X11 environment.

I don't think that's true: dbus is "just" a message bus - an IPC
mechanism that different processes use to communicate. It has nothing to
do with X11 or any other windowing protocol.

The dbus-daemon manual page says:

       The systemwide daemon is largely used for broadcasting system events,
such as changes
       to the printer queue, or adding/removing devices.

       The per-session daemon is used for various interprocess communication
among desktop
       applications (however, it is not tied to X or the GUI in any way).

What makes you think that it requires X11?

> Besides, for org-notify, could dbus help it playing a notification sound on
> Windows? Or popup a
> notification message?

Sure it could: you send a message on the dbus saying "play a sound" and some
other
process listening on the dbus gets the message and plays a sound.

> So what I am thinking is to get some Windows native behavior for org-notify
> on Windows/Cygwin
> environment.

Bad idea imo.

--