Re: [O] org-notify: Need to get notifications at the start time of the t

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] org-notify: Need to get notifications at the start time of the task (in addition to the deadline)
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2016 11:01:25 -0400

Amit Tendulkar <address@hidden> writes:

> Charles Philip Chan <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Marco Wahl <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> http://emacs-fu.blogspot.de/2009/11/showing-pop-ups.html
>>> looks promising.
>>
>> This is what I use:
>>
>> https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/notify.el
>
> I put notify.el in my load path and added the following lines in my init
> file.
>
> (autoload 'notify "notify" "Notify TITLE, BODY.")
> (appt-activate 1)
> (org-agenda-to-appt)
>
> Still I am getting only inline intimations for the appointments. Am I
> missing something?

The commentary at the top of notify.el says:

,----
| ;; This provides a single function, `notify', that will produce a notify
| ;; pop-up via D-Bus, libnotify, simple message or growl.
| ;; To use, just put (autoload 'notify "notify" "Notify TITLE, BODY.")
| ;;  in your init file.  You may override default chosen notification
| ;;  method by assigning `notify-method' to one of 'notify-via-dbus
| ;; 'notify-via-libnotify or 'notify-via-message
`----

Does that help? You probably need to set notify-method to something
reasonable for your platform. BTW, completely untested.

There are also some relevant answers in the FAQ:

http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#Appointments/Diary

http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#automatic-reminders

--
Nick