Re: [O] Open Peer-Review Reproducible Publication with Org and GRASS

From: Brett Viren
Subject: Re: [O] Open Peer-Review Reproducible Publication with Org and GRASS
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2016 10:57:55 -0400

Thanks for your example.

A few ideas:

- When you begin developing your paper, or sometime before submission,
  make a break from your personal ~/.emacs.d/ environment and begin
  processing the .org in an explicitly configured Emacs session.  Submit
  the needed, minimal, paper-specific Emacs setup as part of the
  supplementary material.

- Bundle the document building into a shell script which calls Emacs so
  that you can assure that personal ~/.emacs.d/ is excluded and only the
  paper-specific Emacs setup is used.  It also helps users to rebuild
  the paper, especially if they may not yet be Emacs aficionados.

- Instead of multi-GB VM image, provide a few kB Dockerfile which can be
  used to build a Linux container with base OS and all required
  applications needed to run the Babel code blocks.

- The Dockerfile could go so far as to create a user account, get the
  supplementary material from a repository or the publisher's web page,
  unpack and run the shell script which calls Emacs to build the
  document.  If you go this far then in principle just this Dockerfile
  is enough to reproduce the paper - but this will rely on some binaries
  to remain available (Docker base OS images and OS packages).

The reliance on long-term availability of the Docker base OS image and
binary packages is problematic for long term automated reproducibility.
However, even after those bits disappear from the 'net the Dockerfile
serves as a concise and explicit recipe for future humans to follow.

-Brett.