Re: [O] Org-agenda-sorting: can I sort by inactive timestamps?

From: Matt Lundin
Subject: Re: [O] Org-agenda-sorting: can I sort by inactive timestamps?
Date: Mon, 30 May 2016 09:53:42 -0500

"Martin Beck" <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm using inactive timestamps to show the creation date of a new
> heading and also to show the modification dates with some short text
> notes about the progress in there:
>
> Example:
>
> * Headings Test
> <2016-05-30 Mo 13:18>
> * Heading 1
> [2016-05-30 Mo 13:21]
> * Heading 2
> [2016-05-30 Mo 13:16]
> * Heading 3
> [2016-05-30 Mo 13:16]
> * TODO Find out about sorting by timestamp
> [2016-05-30 Mo 13:12]
> [2016-05-30 Mo 14:22]
> posted question to org-mode users group
>

> I tried the timestamp-up/timestamp-down sorting criteria in my agenda,
> but they seem to ignore the inactive timestamps:
> ("r" "Refile" tags "+refile+LEVEL=1"
>       ((org-agenda-overriding-header "Refile")
>        (org-agenda-sorting-strategy
>     (quote
>      (timestamp-up)))))

> I also tried to use the table-view of the agenda, but in the column
> "timestamp" it only shows the active timestamp of the first heading.
> Questions:
> - is it possible to use inactive timestamps for sorting the agenda?

The timestamp-up here retrieves active timestamps. For inactive
timestamps, you can use tsia-up. See the docstring (C-h v) for
org-agenda-sorting-strategy:

tsia-up            Sort by inactive timestamp, early first
tsia-down          Sort by inactive timestamp, late first

> - what happens if I have several timestamps (active or inactive) in
> one heading? Will org-mode take the first/last one in the plain text
> "code" or the newest or oldest one by date?

With tsia-up or tsia-down, org will use the first inactive timestamp in
the heading.

For more details, see...

http://orgmode.org/manual/Special-properties.html

Matt