[O] problem with org-table-export

From: Andreas Amann
Subject: [O] problem with org-table-export
Date: Fri, 27 May 2016 23:44:11 +0100

Hi list,

whenever I use

M-x org-table-export

inside a table, the buffer is marked "modified".

This is even the case if no modifications are done to the buffer by
exporting the table.

This problem happens since at least two years and possibly longer and
persists with the current git version of org-mode.

As it is quite annoying in my workflow, I tried to investigate the
problem.  Looking at the definition of org-table-export in
lisp/org-table.el the problem seems to be that the line

   (org-table-align)             ; Make sure we have everything we need.

which seems to always set the modified flag, irrespective of real
changes being done. When I comment out this line or surround it with
(org-with-silent-modifications  ... ), then the buffer remains clean.
However both solutions likely introduce other problems.

I guess the proper solution would be to improve org-table-align to not
unnecessarily set the "modified" flag, but I would not know how to do
this.

Regards,
Andreas