Re: [O] [ANN] Remove XEmacs compatibility layer

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] [ANN] Remove XEmacs compatibility layer
Date: Thu, 26 May 2016 14:45:45 +0200

Hello,

Georgiy Tugai <address@hidden> writes:

> If I may ask, was there any particular reason for ditching XEmacs
> compatibility?

I didn't ditch XEmacs compatibility. Org hadn't compiled on XEmacs for
a long time already. Org was broken on XEmacs, and no one volunteered to
solve it. Barely anyone even reported it.

Non-working compatibility code was lingering around and was not
consistently used in all commits. I just cleaned up that mess. At least,
it doesn't make things worse on XEmacs.

We decided to drop XEmacs support some time ago. You may want to search
the mailing list archives about it. No one had took action about it
until now.

I have the feeling that it is not possible anymore to port Org to
XEmacs. However, I am not opposed to someone doing the job, as long as
it introduces only a limited set of changes in the code base.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou